Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Unholy Week in Maldives

Sunset at Hulhumale Ferry Terminal

Maldives sounds intriguing to me ever since I realized that there is this one country of flat islands. So I planned my Travel Year 2019 for South Asia, solo-backpacking...

Ferry Terminal at the Male International Airport

To take advantage of long holidays, I scheduled my trip to Maldives that weekend before the Holy Week. Booked with AirAsia, I flew to Maldives with a connecting flight through Kuala Lumpur on April 12 and landed at Male Airport on April 13. I queued at the Visa on Arrival and passed the Immigration. To my surprise, my entry visa was free; I read in most blogs that tourists have to pay $30 for it.

This is Maldives' signature - a high-end waterworld!

Day 1 - April 13

I got acquainted with the surrounding sea waters first, observing the comings and goings of tourists via buses, boats, yachts and taxis. At the airport alone, the scenery and the landscape was impressive and expensive.

At Hulhumale Ferry Terminal during sunset

At Hulhumale People's Beach during sunrise

I approached the loading bay for the commuter bus, as pointed to me by the airport personnel I asked. I hopped on the next bus to Hulhumale Island and informed the driver to drop me at the nearest station to Huvan Beach Resort. I disembarked at a corner with a grocery store and walked towards the beach area the driver pointed me. I kind of lost for my first pass, only to find out that the hotel's signage is at the interior side and its Shell Beans Cafe is more visible from the outside.


Witnessing good morning at Hulhumale White Beach in front of Huvan Beach Resort


The sandy beach front by the way is white but known to be man-made. But I did not spend my afternoon thereby, after having dozed off for a while. Instead I went to the other side of the Hulhumale Island. I walked for less than 10 minutes to the Ferry Boat Terminal. It was where the waterworld action can be personally witnessed. I spent my late afternoon there and witnessed the wonderful sunset in Maldives. Ah, what a blessing!

Day 2 - April 14

Photo snap with the China-Maldives Friendship Bridge connecting Hulhumale Island with Airport Island and Male City

A mosque adjacent to Male's Ferry Terminal

Waking up early in the morning is highly recommended here. I enjoyed the sunrise sitting at the people's beach before the call for the breakfast.

Today, I decided to roam around Male Island, the capital city of Maldives, on foot. And to get there, I walked back to the Ferry Boat Terminal, and hopped on the next boat trip to Male City. In less than an hour, I was walking the busy streets of the city.


The Presidential Yacht

The Republic Square

It was a willy-nilly walking tour from the Jetty Port Terminal. I started at the so-called Artificial Beach which backdrop is the China-Maldives Friendship Bridge with occasional landing airplanes. Then I walked straight to National Museum, the Sultan Park, and the Republic Square. Next was another stroll through the Public Market and on to another Artificial Beach fronting the Villingili Island, until I reached the Tsunami Monument. I settled at the nearby food avenue to grab lunch and rest my feet. I went back to the Ferry Terminal that afternoon, dropped by the Artificial Beach facing the airport to witness some surfers enjoying the waves under the bridge, took the next ferry ride and back to Hulhumale Island.

Another Artificial Beach

The Tsunami Monument


Photo Op at the Bridge

Day 3 - April 15

Joining a group tour alone is really challenging and I experienced it here in Maldives. Today was my island hopping to Maafushi. I availed my half day tour package through my hotel. I understood that they have arranged a car to transfer me to the jetty port. But the 9am scheduled pick up has already gone but I was still waiting at the hotel lobby. Until finally my host decided to hire somebody else to send me off to the ferry that will bring me to Maafushi Island.

The Jetty Port, the boarding area for boats going to the islands like Maafushi

Arriving at the Maafushi Island

FYI there are several guesthouses in this island

At the port area, somebody else received me and guided me to approaching boat. I noticed that he paid my seat and then waved goodbye. Just less than an hour speedboating, I arrived at Maafushi confused because no one was present to receive me. And I did not have any instructions where to go and what next to do. So I approached a tourism booth and inquire about who to contact or which tour shop to approach, because all I knew was that I already paid for this.

My selfies during the snorkeling



The friendly lady clerk made some calls and confirmed that I was supposedly picked up by the Salt Beach Excursion team. After some admission processes, I was geared up for the island hopping along with other foreign nationals. I was the only Filipino in the group.



We went snorkeling... ate our packed lunch at a super white sandbar... and dolphin watching.

At lunchtime on one of the sandbars... the white sand was so refined and cool to the feet



And before nightfall I was already on the ferry back to Hulhumale Island.

Day 4 - April 16

Dipping during sunrise

I visited Male City that morning and went back to Republic Square where souvenir shops can be found. I bought some Maldivian souvenirs, the cheap ones. Then back at Huvan Beach Resort, I checked out after lunch.


That late afternoon, I flew the Korean Air for the first time on to my next country-destination, Sri Lanka.

Below is my summary of daily expenses:
Day 1 - Hulhumale = $55
Day 2 - Male = $39
Day 3 - Maafushi = $175
Day 4 - Male = 37
I spent more or less US$300 for this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment