Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Trip2Top Climbs

2018 was the year for my mountain trekking with Trip2Top family. I had a whole year of climbing Philippine mountains, both major and minor. I kept this pictorial documentation as my souvenir.

Official Community Logo

Feb 3-4 - Mt Tapulao, Zambales

This was my first major climb. It is the tallest mountain in Zambales province measuring 2,037 masl. The challenge here was the way up. There was a paved road up to the campsite, the lowest part was concreted, the next few kilometers was under construction, but the rest are unmaintained where dirt roads are destroyed by flashfloods and boulders were shooting up. My feet cried especially on the way down.




Mar 3-4 - Mt Ulap, Ifugao

This was an easy climb. The best thing for this destination is its accessibility from Baguio City by public commute. It measured 1,846 masl. The rolling hills are easily navigable which could be trekked by whole family, young and old. Its best feature is the picturesque rock cliff, good for ala-lion king pose.



Mar 24-25 - Mt Napulauan, Ifugao

This was my hardest climb because the ascent is never-ending. It stands as the 15th highest mountain in the country measuring 2,642 masl. I completed the trek for almost 7 hours. I was about to surrender at 2,000 meters and set up a e-camp. So I started counting backwards from 642 to 1 just to motivate me to keep going. But my gosh, the "Sea of Clouds" the day after was fantastic, stupendous, breathtaking!



Apr 21 - Mt Makiling, Laguna

Just a day climb, this legendary mountain measured 1,090 masl. But never underestimate it; its trekking difficulty could be considered the best training ground for major climbs. Here I have up close and personal encounter with the parasitic flower, Rafflesia.



Jun 23-24 - Mt Iglit, Occidental Mindoro

This was our very first cross-island trekking. It has a height of 2,364 masl. The best experience was spending the night with the Mangyan tribe. But the climb from the campsite to the peak was challenging but never enjoyable. The rolling hills kept on rolling and seemingly unending. It left me so exhausted and sad.



Sep 21-23 - Mt Pulag, Benguet

A glamping indeed. We took the Ambangeg trail which is the highest dropoff and closest to the campsite. This is the second highest mountain in the country and the highest in Luzon island. With this trail, the dropoff is already at 1,500++ masl. So the trek to the peak was easier. I considered this a glamping because the campsite has CR, water source, cottage and a walking distance to the community where stores and eateries are open.



Nov 24-25 - Mt Tarak, Mariveles, Bataan

It just measured 1,130 masl but I tell you this mountain is harsh. The climb was actually very challenging, the ascent was unexpectly difficult. I clambered through tree trunks and roots to push me up.





No comments:

Post a Comment