Monday, January 16, 2017

BTMS Portal Team Building

Miguel Ramirez, our technical expert from Guatemala, is interested in Philippine beaches. We promised to give him one on his next visit.

As promised by my BTMS Portal Team, Alma,  Andrew, Wendy and myself,  we booked a trip to Boracay Island upon confirmation of his next arrival to the Philippines.

To celebrate our minor success with project website,  now that the BTMS Portal is ready for public viewing, that Friday afternoon of January 14, Miguel,  Alma,  Wendy,  and myself convened at NAIA Terminal 4. Andrew regretted.

Although we experienced delay in our flight departure, we still looked forward to our fun days in one of the best islands in the world - Boracay.  We reached the white sanded paradise via Kalibo Airport around midnight.

We stayed at a budget hostel-resort for 3 nights and ate at food places where credit card is not acceptable but pure cash. So Miguel still  has to withdraw from ATM first, and so Alma took care of his share as his advance.

We wasted no time, but experienced immediately the first night in the island and slept very late.

Despite the lack of sleep,  we found ourselves that following morning queuing up for the island adventures. We agreed to do together the banana boat ride but Wendy set out when we did the helmet diving.

It was a different way of enjoying Boracay. For the few times I was in the island I only availed of island hopping,  purely swimming on the beach,  walking to the Grotto and back. There was once when I joined a beach fun run.

That following night we dined at a beachside restaurant that cook fresh seafood, served with entertainment - a firedancing showdown, and acoustic music in between. When the time to bill out came,  we were informed that the dining place accepts credit card payments.  Miguel decided to pay using his card and so went alone back to the hostel to get the card he left. We waited for him for more or less 30 minutes then saw him arrived so defeated.  He lost his way and haven't located our room accommodation.

Our second and final day in the island was spent fully in the long queue for the parasailing. We flew by twos,  Alma and Miguel,  Wendy and myself.  Alma and Miguel went ahead of us,  flying overhead for 15 minutes.  Upon their descent, Alma was found so pale,  sick and so tongue-tied. When it was our turn to sail above,  dangling and swaying, blown every now and then by the wild wind,  I realized why Alma came down in such condition.

We realized in the end that we wasted too much time in the queue to parasail; we lost the whole morning actually. It was already lunch time when we landed back to the island and we have to leave right away to catch our flight in Kalibo at 3pm. We hurriedly packed our things and checked out,  but then waited for Miguel who later we found was lost again on his way back to the resort.

We commuted through the airport via tricycle from resort to island port,  boat to Panay mainland,  van from Caticlan to Kalibo. To insure our seats,  we checked in through the web. We then claimed our boarding passes upon arrival.

Thinking we would again suffer delay in AirAsia flight back to Manila the way we were on our way here,  we decided to have a bite after skipping lunch. We looked around and found a Japanese restaurant across the terminal.  After few spoons of ramen, I volunteered to just take out my share and go back to the terminal to watch out for the boarding time.  Funny enough,  the boarding was raised when I arrived there,  so I called them over the phone.

I still didn't see them coming when I climbed up the ladder to the plane. As per their recount of the event,  they were paged for final boarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment